This is part of our ongoing The Best Kept Secrets to Healthy Aging spotlight. Each week, we will be posting some of the great information that’s packed into our book, The Best Kept Secrets to Healthy Aging.
Joint Health – Glucosamine Sulfate
Glucosamine sulfate is another component of healthy joint cartilage that can be delivered to your joints through dietary supplementation. The results of 2 “gold standard,” randomized double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trials have shown conclusively that men and women with mild to moderate degrees of joint discomfort and loss of flexibility experience clinically important improvements in joint ease and comfort, after a month of dietary supplementation with 1500 mg of daily glucosamine sulfate.4,5 In addition, these improvements in joint characteristics are accompanied by increased ability to utilize the joint in daily activities – with minimal or no side effects – an important feature of any joint supportive therapy.
The results of two much longer randomized double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trials confirm the joint-friendly properties of glucosamine sulfate. In these two studies, 3 years of dietary supplementation with glucosamine sulfate (1500 mg/day) restored joint tissue and structure, and increased joint function while promoting joint comfort and mobility.6,7 Various groups of investigators have concluded that daily dietary supplementation with 1500 mg of glucosamine sulfate for 6 weeks or more reduces joint discomfort and increases joint mobility, flexibility and ability to bear weight with excellent safety. The most recently completed systematic analysis concluded that 1500 mg of glucosamine sulfate daily is “effective and safe” in supporting knee joint function and wellness.8 Glucosamine sulfate has been established as one of the foundational nutrients for promoting joint health as it is a key building block for strong healthy joints.
Next Best Kept Secrets to Healthy Aging topic:
Joint Health – Chondroitin Sulfate
4. Flex Protex 197 Drovanti A, Bignamini AA, Rovati AL. Therapeutic activity of oral glucosamine sulfate in osteoarthrosis: A placebocontrolled double-blind investigation. Clin Ther 1980;3:260-272.
5. Flex Protex 198 Rovati LC. Clinical research in osteoarthritis: Design and results of short-term and long-term trials with disease-modifying drugs. Int J Tiss Reac 1992;14:248-251.
6. Flex Protex 201 Pavelka K, Gatterova J, Olejarova M, Machacek S, Giacovelli G, Rovati LC. Glucosamine sulfate use and delay of progression of knee osteoarthritis. A 3-year, randomized, placebocontrolled, double-blind study. Arch Intern Med 2002;162:2113-2123.
7. Flex protex 204 Christgau S, Henrotin Y, Tanko LB, Rovati LC, Collette J, Bruyere O, Deroisy R, Reginster JY. Osteoarthritic patients with high cartilage turnover show increased responsiveness to the cartilage protecting effects of glucosamine sulphate. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2004;22:36-42.
8. Flex Protex 216 Poolsup N, Suthisisang C, Channark P, Kittikulsuth W. Glucosamine long-term treatment and the progression of knee osteoarthritis: Systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Ann Pharmacother 2005;39:1080-1087.